London calling...

A Taiwanese woman's journal of her pursuit of an MBA, a meaningful life, love and her observations of the world along the way! Blogger based in Taipei.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Small paychecks for PR professionals in Taiwan?! Why?

Recently I was approached by a world renowned PR agency for a potential job opportunity. This has been quite an honor for me as I am glad that I am still on the market, six months after my departure. I won't name names here and it's also inappropriate to do dumb things like that on a blog so don't ask me which company it is.

Despite my feeling of vanity, however, some common practices (read: problems) in the PR industry in Taiwan still trouble me. To be precise, they are the reason why I'm hesitant at this opportunity, though the title and ensuing responsibilities sound very attractive. I am quite reserved of throwing myself back in to that world.

I came across a blog written by Andres Wittermann today. His short article regarding the low salary scale of beginners in PR in Germany caught my attention. I subsequently left a comment to his article. For the readers who are interested in checking out Andre's blog, click here.

Basically what I was telling Andres was that I feel it is a pity that professionals in the PR industry in Taiwan are requested to work that hard by contributing their brains, personal time and sometimes even to the point of sacrificing their physical health all at the same time but are expected to be paid piecemeal compared to other types of consultants. Although it is a chance for me to return to the exciting PR industry undertaking potentially much desired responsibilities, I seriously dread the life in which I was under paid, felt dog-tired everyday while giving my absolute 120%.

I am not sure whether payment scales in PR have the same phenomenon in other countries. But hopefully anyone who's set their foot in PR before can share their perspective with me on this particular matter.

At the end of this posting, I would like to share a Salary Survey Report done by PRWeek back in year 2000. Although the article was written six years ago, many of the situations depicted are still truer than ever.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

I have the same feeling too... Thanks for this very direct and to-the-point comment. I appreciate it!

Jen @ mesmorizing Bangkok

5:28 PM, November 13, 2006  
Blogger Jenn said...

Could be... but it's sad.

7:16 PM, December 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see that you haven't decided on a US school to apply to. Take a good look at U-M Ross School of Business. I just started there a couple months ago and the program is fantastic. They were infused with $100MM donation from Steven M. Ross (hence the new name of the school) which enabled them to steal a good number of faculty from schools like Wharton and Kellogg. They were rated the #1 b-school in the US by the Wall Street Journal. Other reports rate it in the top 5. It also has a strong contingent of Taiwanese-American and Chinese-American students. (I'm one myself.)

If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

12:13 AM, February 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Legendary War Correspondent
Peter Arnett
Lecture Title:
America at War in Iraq and Vietnam: The Similarities, The Differences

Well known for his covering of war, veteran correspondent Peter Arnett is a synonym of daredevil. Throughout his 40-plus years of news reporting, there is simply nothing ordinary in his diary:

1966 Awarded the Pulitzer Prize for his courageous work in Vietnam
1975 One of the last reporters in Saigon after it fell
1991 Representing CNN, brought exclusive coverage from Baghdad for the 16 initial intense hours of the Gulf War
Obtained an exclusive uncensored interview with Saddam Hussein one week after the start of the war
1995 First western journalist to interview Osama bin Laden
1998 Reprimanded then dismissed by CNN for he reported that the US Army had used sarin against a group of deserting US soliders in Laos in 1970
2003 In Iraq to cover the US invasion but was fired by NBC for granting an interview to state-controlled Iraqi television and commenting that “the first plan of the war has failed”
Dramatically hired by the British newspaper, the Daily Mirror the day after

Moderator: Lung Yingtai
Former Cultural Minister of Taipei City
Professor of National Tsing Hua University

Date & Time: Saturday, 21 April 2007 7:00pm-10:pm
Venue: Zhongshan Hall( No .98 Yenping S. Rd .Taipei)

The Lung Yingtai Cultural Foundaiton Launches

Masterclass by

The Legendary War Correspondent

Peter Arnett

Veteran correspondent Peter Arnett is well known for his covering of wars from Saigon to Bagdad. Besides his notebook and a helmet, what was he armed with? 30 hand-picked “apprentices” will be able to meet him in person and explore the art of being a war correspondent.

Date & Time: 22 April 2007 (Sunday) 2:00 – 5:00 pm

Venue: Yue-han Hall, 10 Jin Hua Street, Taipei

Enrollment
1. Applicants should be students attending high schools, universities or graduate schools.
2. Please mail your resume with a statement expressing your views on the Gulf War within 300 words to the Lung Yingtai Cultural Foundation, 2/F., 110 Jin Hua Street, Taipei or by email civictaipei@hotmail.com on or before 10 April 2007.
3. 30 short-listed applicants will be notified before 15 April 2007.
4. Short-listed applicants must submit a report in 1,000 words and a summary in 100 words after the completion of the masterclass. Both articles will be used by the Lung Yingtai Foundation for educational and promotional purposes.

報名 Registration
電話Tel:02-33224907
傳真Fax:02-33224918
www.civictaipei.org
civictaipei@hotmail.com

10:49 PM, March 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

8:12 AM, November 15, 2009  
Anonymous Melina Mia said...

You made some decent factors there. I looked on the internet for the difficulty and found most individuals will associate with along with your website.
Dandruff Treatment
Hyperpigmentation Cream
Antifungal Medications
Eczema Treatment
Hyperpigmentation Treatment

7:48 PM, December 06, 2017  

Post a Comment

<< Home