London calling...

A Taiwanese woman's journal of her pursuit of an MBA, a meaningful life, love and her observations of the world along the way! Blogger based in Taipei.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Exotic Destination & Speed Dating


What are the two things have in common? Eh, not too many except that both of them were ideas that popped up in my head this morning. Recently I've been reading Malcolm Gladwell's "Blink" and got fascinated by this snap judgment versus story-telling dilemma that Gladwell depicted in chapter two. Among the examples that the author presented, the speed dating service administered respectively in Manhattan and Columbia caught my attention. Maybe speed dating can be an interesting business for Taiwan, given the large population of single white-collar workers who work those crazy hours, although I can imagine some cultural resistance in the first place. You know how important "face" is in Asia... To make speed dating work, the message during the introduction phase must be crafted carefully. Fresh ideas, anyone?

As for the exotic location, it's actually about the place I want to take a vacation to in a few months' time. I'm so glad that summer is coming (or at least in my head). Though the weather in Taipei are still pretty nasty from time to time with pouring rain and grey sky, I am already thinking about packing my bags, getting a ticket and embarking on that giant flying machine heading towards an exotic destination. Why isn't there a top b-school on a tropical island, which is very close to the world's business center, offers excellent curriculum and career services?

Guess I am day-dreaming again...

9 Comments:

Blogger Forrest Gump said...

wow, we had so few people blogging from the east. good luck with your apps. I might join you in the race.

10:24 AM, May 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen-san,

I have also been day-dreaming since I came back from Japan a week ago. I still need some rehabilitation to adjust myself to the life in China. All of my family and best friends warmly welcomed me during my stay in Japan. They treated me to many kinds of typical Japanese food every day as if I were a foreigner who came to Japan for the first time.

With regard to speed dating, we already have a more efficient system here in Asia. These days quite a few Japanese and Korean men visit to China, Philippine, Vietnam and Thailand to find wives there. Those willing husbands stay in the countries only for a week or so and complete their plans with the help of brokers. That is more than speed dating!

1:08 PM, May 06, 2006  
Blogger Jenn said...

Kanwa-San,

Indeed that sounds much faster than speed dating, but it seems rather one-sided. I am talking about the fun for and interests of the other half of the world's population, the women. Wondering why there aren't any mail-order grooms? LOL...

11:41 AM, May 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There ARE mail order grooms and the Taipei Times today front page has a story about "ducks" in Beijing that are available for us women to screw. read it. Monday May 8 edition of the Taipei Times front page. We woman deserve our kicks too. I agree!

12:57 PM, May 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen-san,

You are right. This kind of ultra speed marriage is generally one-sided. And what is worse, quite a few participants have been cheated, and even a sham marriage is prevailing in this poor system. I am sorry that those acts have been worsening public sentiment on other countries. Haste makes waste.

4:25 PM, May 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Profesional Dating Website at: http://www.you4dating.com/
..........................
http://www.you4dating.com/
..........................
http://www.you4dating.com/

6:26 AM, March 11, 2009  
Blogger rosy marshal said...

That is a beautiful place you dreaming about and hope you will be there soon
with you date and enjoying the dream as you have written in your article. I want
here from you more on this imaginary world.
speed dating London

1:32 PM, November 17, 2009  
Blogger Unknown said...

You have shared a great information about British Indian Dating and Asian Online
Dating
. Which are very informative for us.Thanks

8:06 PM, February 14, 2014  
Anonymous Dating club in london said...

Speed dating is an easy way to meet lovers for dating and fun experiences.

5:23 PM, October 18, 2014  

Post a Comment

<< Home