London calling...

A Taiwanese woman's journal of her pursuit of an MBA, a meaningful life, love and her observations of the world along the way! Blogger based in Taipei.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Why blogging?

A few weeks ago, I couldn't differentiate much between a blog and an online forum. In my head, there was still this impression engraved long time ago by BBS (Bulletin Board System), which was very popular back in the university. And I thought a blog is probably just about the same thing, except with more hypes and more user-friendly interface.

However, after an on-job training about blogging, I began to comprehend more of the differences, in particular the personal side of a blog. According to a definition by BlogPhiles, "a blog is basically a journal that is available on the web. The activity of updating a blog is 'blogging' and someone who keeps a blog is a 'blogger.' Blogs are typically updated daily using software that allows people with little or no technical background to update and maintain the blog."

A senior media veteran from the US that I work with has been keeping a very popular but controversial blog about China for 4 years. For him, I reckon, it's the sense of satisfaction of owning an online community that keeps him motivated in spite of some verbal attacks or hate comments from those who disagree with him. It is exciting to think about if one day there is an online community around my blog as well, but at the moment I just want to document and share things I saw along this journey and hope that my experiences will help others in one way or another. Maybe it will also enlighten myself as I tend to keep a lot of things on my mind...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home